Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Quirky Tools of the Trade

So in yesterday's post I talked a bit about the 'core' tools that I think most if not all hobbyists utilize when assembling our models.  Today I wanted to look over some of the other tools I use but I wouldn't consider 'core necessities.'  Are they useful? Hell yeah.  Do I use them enough to justify their purchase?  Most def.  Does every wargamer/hobbyist need them? Need not so much but the more serious you get into the hobby the more likely you are to own these.

The Pin Vice
Looks about right for mine
The Pin Vice allows you to 'pin' your models together, and also makes some neat bullet holes/effects for battle damage.  Pinning, for those who are unfamiliar, is essentially helping you strengthen the join between two pieces of the model together.  You drill a hole in each side and stick something in it like a paper clipping or brass wire, and then the bond will be stronger.  Ideally it'll help hold the two pieces together.

I personally don't pin EVERY model I own, mostly because as I get older I am making more decisions on what I want to actually put effort into and what I could care less about.  Some models it is a necessity and the heavier the pieces the more likely it needs to be pinned.  Heavy metal-on-metal models are almost a must.
This bastard needed MANY pins before staying together
Modelling Putty aka "Green Stuff"
This is some good stuff right here.  I use it in primarily two different ways: making conversions by modelling new stuff, an adhesive addition.  Mix the two together for an epoxy putty that will bend to your will!  For the latter of two uses I found that a small amount of green stuff with super glue can help keep things together longer than super glue alone.  The key is the make sure that the amount you use doesn't over flow the joint itself, and that you still have contact points between the metal or resin.
My chart for the right amount of Green Stuff
As a modelling putty the stuff works great and is easy to use.  Mix it up, shape it into whatever you want, and keep working until it looks satisfying!  You can experiment with different ratios of how much putty you add, I find a simple mix of 50/50 works well but some people like different rations.  It'll affect the consistency of the putty as well as drying times so go nuts! 

Shaping Tool
Kind of self-explanatory
Not really a whole lot to say about this tool.  It helps shape the green stuff when I'm using it to model it as a conversion piece.  Above is what I have but if you do a simple Google search you can find a ton of different shaping tools.  I am sure I might pick up a variety pack at some point but at the moment I don't use a lot of GS to warrant purchasing more tools.
A saw?
Cut open a model!
 At this point I am getting to the end of what I use toolbox wise.  The saw is something I do not use very often, but when I do no other tool will do.  I purchased it originally to convert some metal models, ya know cut the hand or head off sort of deal.  Since then it has mostly been delegated to cutting out movement trays for 9th Age (i.e. Warhammer Fantasy) models, but without it I don't think I could have cut out the trays.  It is a niche tool in my opinion, but when you use the saw it is used well.

Well folks that about sums up what my toolbox for modelling has in it.  Over the years I've sort of developed my own style of doing my models which honestly is the point of doing these things.  You start off with the 'core' and then move on to whatever works for you.  As I mentioned before do some shopping before purchasing any tool as some companies will overprice for name brand.  Also do some research before getting any tool in general so you can avoid flops (GW's model vise comes to my mind).

Until next time everyone have a good one and happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment