Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Dread Elves part 1

I must confess that I'm not starting this Dread Elf journey completely fresh.  That block of 50 Legionnaires I mentioned in the previous post, well they are already assembled.  I haven't put the magnets on just yet but I'm planning on it!  So mostly fresh.

Instead I will be working on my Reaper Auxiliaries which will provide me a nice bit of ranged firepower to help whittle down some troops whilst the rest of my forces move up.  I think a unit of 20 would be sufficient since in 9th Age you can fire in 2 ranks of 10 wide.  Not only that but these are repeater crossbows so presuming I am able to I could potentially get 40 shots out of these evil elves.  Granted I'd be taking a -1 to hit from the multiple shots, but the more the merrier!

My men ready to be assembled in piles
Eventually I think this unit, combined with the 2 Reaper throwers, will be the primary firebase for the Dread Elves.  Until I play some games I can't really foresee myself needing any more units but if I do then assembling 20 of these guys really isn't a problem.

While I was clipping away at the sprues I found that there are these crossbows with 2 arms already attached as one piece.  Score!  That means less parts for me to worry about mold lines and easier assembly.  So with all the parts ready I was prepared to start gluing.

Convenient arms ftw!
So far so good
Well everything was going as normal until...well...every Fantasy veteran will probably know where I went wrong but I found out that the models did not line up as easily as I thought they would.  Ugggggh now I'm in a weird bind as I need to find some way of ranking these guys up.


Convenient arms betrayed me! Nooooo
My face at such betrayal!














To fix this I just did the lazy way out, turned them around and voila!  No more ranking issues ha ha!  Now I have a 20 man unit ready to roll, granted some of them are not paying attention to the correct direction (to ummm watch their backs...yeah...), but I think in a small unit like this it isn't too big of a deal and seems to work out.  If there are any confusions about unit facing then I can just refer to the command group.

Eh, it works.
Next unit I have planned are my 30 man strong Corsairs, we'll see how they turn out.  So until then take care everyone and happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment