Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Dread Elves: Executioners

A few posts ago I talked about this unit being the primary reason I got into the Dark Elves back in 7th/8th edition WHFB and they still to this day are great models.  Something about the clean, sharp armor combined with the 2-H swords they wield just resonated with me.  The updated sculpt from GW isn't bad but what throws me off are the skull helmets, they just seem a bit...goofy.

Ehhhhhhh.....
So now that I am working on these guys let's look over the stats/options and see what we can hypothesize (theorize? One of the two, right?).  Let's get started!

Stat wise the Executioners sit with most of the 'DE basics' except WS and S are up by 1, meaning they will usually hit more often and hit harder.  They are equipped with Executioner's Blades which are great weapons with Lethal Strike and Multiple Wounds (2. Infantry, Monstrous Beasts, Cavalry).  They have Heavy Armor.  Special rules-wise they have Hatred (from being Cult of Nabh) as well as standard Dread Elf special rules.  They have access to a Full Command and a magic banner up to 50 pts.
The bodies of the old models, mostly 1 piece!
So where does that leave our lovely Executioners at?  Well for one they are not meant for being on the defensive that's for sure.  Toughness 3 and only a +5 for armor with no other defensive options leaves them with not a lot of staying power.  They make up for it on the offensive however.  Despite hitting last they hit hard with an effective S6, WS 5, +1 to attack rolls, re-roll to-hit on the 1st round of combat, causing multiple wounds/hit, AND re-roll 1's to wound.  Once these guys go swinging there might not be much left!
When you buy 2 command groups for 1 unit...:-\
So the best way to use these guys is to not take the charge but to give it!  I'd say they are the kind of unit that needs to go in after the 'anvil' has taken the charge and is holding the enemy down, ready for the taking!  With the ability to inflict multiple wounds on Infantry, Monstrous Beasts, and Cavalry I'd also wager that they would be a decent unit to taking down those types of units.  Once again I'd caution being charged and in a true Dread elf fashion I'd keep an eye out for opportunities to pounce on weak flanks/units.
Completed unit, ranked up amazingly easy!

As for Magic Banners well the options are going to be in line with my previous article, the Dread Knights.  Without repeating myself here I will go with my top 3 banner choices that I would consider taking for the Executioners:
  1. Bloody Banner of Nabh: With the chances of getting Lethal Strike on the attack roll I would be very interested in making sure I could re-roll my 1's and my 2's.  Granted if I am already rolling 2's from my WS and Lightning Reflexes then it becomes a bit moot, but if I have to roll 3+'s then this banner shines.
  2. Rending Banner: Get an additional -1 to your armor save when I wound you?  Why sure! It's already at -3 naturally from the high strength, lethal strike makes it a potentially nasty -9, so making it a reliable -4 will make it a good counter to highly armor targets.
  3. Stalker's Standard: Re-roll charge moves? Yes pls.
Quite a lovely conversion and paint job! not mine though :(
Overall it's an aggressive unit with models that I love so I am quite excited to put this unit on the field and see what they end up doing.  The way they ranked up while assembling has also been a huge plus to me.  Model-wise the only iffy part is that the swords had to be glued separately and the contact point is a tiny peg...here's hoping the green stuff/glue combo holds up!

Well that's all for today's ramblings, tune in next time for whatever comes up in my brain.  Until then happy gaming and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment