Tuesday, January 12, 2016

My Dread Elf journey

All righty it's that time again folks, today's topic will be where I am with my Dread Elves.  As I mentioned before it's not my penultimate favorite 9th Age army but it's what I own and it's good enough for me.

I figure it would be a helluva lot easier to just roll up my sleeves and get to assembling the models than to try and tell half-opened boxes on eBay and buy a whole new army.  Besides the way I see it, if I get these guys done and work on the Vampire Covenant that's 2 different armies I can toy around with.  Not a bad deal if you ask me. 

So where am I with my Dread Elves?  Well I did a quick calculation of what I currently have bare bones (i.e. no magic items/banners/serious upgrades) and found out that I've got about 2.5k worth of points in Dread Elves.  Nice.

Currently my collection is composed of thus:
  • Dread Prince, Exalted Oracle, Captain, Oracle, and 2 Assassins for my Lords/Heroes
  • 50 Dread Legionnaires w/ Spears
  • 20 Reaper Auxiliaries
  • 30 Corsairs
  • 30 Executioners
  • 10 Raven Cloaks
  • 10 Dread Knights
  • 2 Dread Reapers
I think for the most part I've got the bulk of my infantry down and any future purchases will have to be made in the special and rare categories.  In 9th Age the Dread Reapers (e.g. Reaper Bolt Throwers) moved from rare to special so now I am completely lacking rare choices.  I've been eyeing up the Hydra from Reaper miniatures but I'm not sure about scale of the model itself.  Since I can take medusas as a skirmishing unit I've been considering getting some of the Avatars of War Naga's to use, though I'm not sure about the base size (will they fit on a 40mmx40mm?).  Finally I might break down and get GW's Cauldron of Blood, not only is it a good model to have in my force but it's a good looking model despite the cost.  I think I can snag one off eBay for cheaper though.

So I am taking the journey into making all 150+ Dread Elves come to life, and then...then...try to paint all of that.  Oh God what I am getting myself into?

Actually I am a bit excited about the prospect, I've wanted a large scale army project lately and I think I just may have come across what I've been looking for.  It will take awhile but that will be ok.

Until then gamers have a good one and good gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment