Monday, February 29, 2016

Game day 2-27-16

Goooooooooood morning Internet friends and wargamer family members and welcome to another bat-sums!  We recently had a Journeyman League day and I was able to get 4 games in, this time with a better track record than the week before!  Let's get right in.
The three boards altogether
My first game was with Bernie and his Cygnar, specifically he went a blend of pNemo and the core battlebox jacks.  He had enough points to bring the Black 13th as well, whereas I had enough points to bring....nothing.  I was pretty much stuck with my 4 models like last week, ah well.  The board had a lot of choke points which I thought would have been to my advantage so I moved my chicken's in covering positions and my Leviathan in a solid firing lane.
The chokepoints worked against me :(
Unfortunately it's been awhile since I've played against Cygnar and I forgot that when it came to ranged warfare, I was not in the superior.  With similar control ranges pNemo was able to get some extra focus from my spell casting and so was able to not only pump up the Charger but also the Lancer.  They both wrecked/crippled my chicken jacks and while I was able to knock out his Ironclad I was losing out on attrition.  The Black 13th was able to move around the side and were able to hit Scavvy for some damage, allowing the Charger with full focus to take the last 2 boosted shots needed to wreck him.  Thus giving the game to Bernie.
After 1st turn moving
My second game was with my lovely wife and her Retribution, with the newest additions being 2 Arcanists.  I was able to keep her Phoenix at bay with some of my trickery and Leviathan firepower.  I think I did a decent job moving up and staying in cover with not only Scavvy but my jacks in general.  I was able to keep her Hydra busy with one of my chicken jacks the majority of the game.  So I thought I had the game in the bag mid-way, but alas that was not the case.  I felt that the only way I was going to be able to win the game is by pulling off a magical assassination run so I moved Scavvy up the fence line to get into position.  Unfortunately I was bogged down by a wreck and ended up falling short which then led Ravyn to take the initiative and end up taking Scavvy out in her own assassination.  A win to Courtney!
Turn 3
My next game was against Josh and his Circle and he was able to bring a lot more to the table than I was prepared for.  It ended up being his original force, shifting stones with UA, Blackclad Wayfarer, and a Gallows Grove.  Josh was able to move up pretty quickly and get into a solid position about 2 turns before I could have hoped to.  Thankfully Josh messed up on his order of activation and missed out on a chance to do a turn 2 assassination (yay!).  Josh then feated and kept me from being able to charge in, but given my force selection I don't think I would have wanted to anyways.  In a way Josh seemed to be not sure what to do with his new ability to teleport all over the map and so ran Krueger empty on fury and he had his Stalker rush in via shifting stones through the tower to take out my Leviathan.  On the turn after his feat I was able to move up both Ripjaws into a clear LoS and in range of all my spells, then I popped my feat.  It was a precarious situation I was in, if I missed up on ANY of my rolls I would have lost as his Stalker could easily charge in and win the game next turn.  I wagered on tossing Feast of Worms followed with two Excarnates and thankfully I was able to hit and deal enough to win the game.  Without any fury on Krueger Josh ended up not being able to transfer and lost the game.
Turn 3 or 4 I'm not sure which
My last game of the night was a mirror faction match against Mychaela's Cryx.  She was able to bring a Warwitch Siren and a Skarlock in addition to her other models.  I was able to get into a good position with my Leviathan and before Mychaela was able to take advantage of cover I managed to start hitting her jacks for damage.  I wanted to play it more safely this game and mostly we ended up trading damage on our jacks.  Mychaela moved up a Nightwretch to arc Curse of Shadows up on Scavvy,  In response I moved him into melee with the Nightwretch and in position of concealment giving me an effect DEF against ranged and magic to a nice solid 20.  A venom spray put Scavvy on a timer as his health ticked away, Mychaela moved the other Nightwretch into combat making it more difficult for me to just walk away.  I used the Leviathan to throw the more healthy chicken off of Scavvy and walked away, allowing me to draw a bead to eDenny and take out her remaining hit boxes for another win.

Overall I think I did pretty well for myself considering that I won 2 games out of 4.  I think playing the long game with Scavvy is the way to go for now and I have to be careful about my placements when using him.  Hopefully next League week I'll be able to bring some more to my force and maybe pull more wins in the future.  Until then happy gaming folks!

2 comments: