Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Dread Elves: Raven Cloaks!

Continuing with our series on the Dread Elf army I have been working on, today we are going to go over the Raven Cloaks (e.g. Shades).  This is probably the smallest unit I have in my current force, with the exception of some artillery pieces and characters, and it is also the last true unit I've left to assemble.  Let's take a look at their stats and options!

Stat-wise there aren't many things that stand out compared with our 'baseline' Legionnaires.  The WS and BS are both sitting at 5 putting them as being accurate elves even with some penalties to their ranged to hit rolls.  They come with standard Dread Elf rules as well as having Scout and Skirmisher.  They are armed with repeater crossbows as standard but have several options available to them that can alter their role.  I personally plan to use them as a skirmishing ranged unit that peppers units to smaller ones.  If that is not what you want to use them for you can give them: light armor, great weapons, an additional hand weapon, and poisoned attacks all for 1 pt/rule/model.  Instead of a full command you can upgrade 1 model to a Champion.
Near solid pieces are the best

Alternatively I could use them to scoot around the back lines and mess with artillery units, or counter certain threats.  The downside to this unit is their lack of staying power.  Certainly having the skirmisher rule will help against ranged shots, but any decent charge is going to ruin their day.  Light armor doesn't help much unless the hits I am taking are at S3, and even then you need 6's to pass your save.  In the end I think it's just better to mitigate getting hit in the first place and keep the unit at an arm's length.  Not only that but I will more than likely upgrade them with Poisoned Attacks, because e





Except for this part
Offensive-wise this unit isn't a heavy hitter like the Dread Knights or the Executioners, but that isn't to say that they cannot sting.  As the former are sword thrusts into the hearts of the enemy, the Raven Cloaks are like snakebites.  Hit them in the right spot and it will deadly effective.  Sadly the repeater crossbows are naturally S3 but have Armor Piercing (1) and Multiple Shots.  This makes them near perfect if you've got some lightly-armored units to take out, and even better if they are in small numbers to begin with!







I don't think it will fit easily
So high-toughness/multi-wound units are probably not what I would want to put in my sights.  Low-armored/average toughness single wound units are more the style.  Of course I can try my luck if I give them Poisoned attacks as well, but I'd have to hope for some 6's which is never a reliable thing.


Compared with 8th ed. WHFB version (from what I know) I'd say the Raven Cloaks have been nerfed, but not in a omgnevertakethisunitplskthx sort of way.  It looks more like they are back into their prior role of being a side line unit that helps the rest of the army by whittling down units into more manageable threats.  Like a glass cannon support unit.  Since I'm taking 10 maybe that will help keep my opponents from targeting them since they are "just 10 guys" and hopefully not attract too much fire.  Their point costs also support the idea of what role they should play as well.

Here they are, sort of sketchy placement though
That's all for today, tune in next time in our Dread Elf series as I go over my only piece of artillery!  Good luck and happy gaming!

p.s.  With the upcoming JL I've been putting more focus on those sort of posts but I wanted to finish up my Dread Elf series since I've almost assembled the entire force.  Over the next couple of days I will be putting the last bit (for now!) up and then moving on to my Cryxian thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment