Monday, March 7, 2016

What I think of...Ripjaws

Hello and welcome again to another thought piece reviewing my initial thoughts regarding this little warjack.  Just like my last Cryxian analysis I have to toss out the disclaimer that I am in no way an expert on Cryx, or Warmahordes in general.  So take what you will with a grain of salt, these are just my newbie thoughts.

Cryx light jacks are quite synonymous as the chicken jacks due to their appearance and also their ability to be spammed (though not many casters I know of take more than 2-3 at most).  Most of them share the same state line as being high SPD, high DEF, low ARM, lower number of hit boxes, and slightly below average stats otherwise.  Not all Cryxian light jacks have it, but all the 'chicken' jacks do have Arc node and when combined with their cheap point cost it is not hard to see why you tend to see 2-3 in each list.

The Ripjaw is what I see as the most melee aggressive of the chickens.  It is armed with a Bone Saw with a meh P+S but I took these guys for the special attack/action.  For one they come with Armor Piercing meaning that against a Khador jack I would be hitting at straight dice damage, and since this rule is attached with the weapon it can be used on the charge (aww yiss). The second ability is interesting, Vice Lock, as it cannot advance as long as the model stays in my melee range and takes a -2 DEF.  

I took the Ripjaws as a means of being somewhat synergistic with Scaverous and his Telekinesis spell.  The idea is that if I had a target that I need to somewhat lock down for a turn I could hit them with my Telekinesis, turn them completely around, and then Vice Lock them in place.  In the subsequent turn they would not be able to turn around as they cannot advance, meaning they would have to expend some other method of extraction such as a counter-telekinesis or destroying the Ripjaw.  Either way it's been useful in a couple of my games so far.  Additionally a couple of Ripjaws could easily take down a medium-large based model as they both him with the Armor Piercing attack and do tons of damage.

The major flaw besides the inherent ones with being a chicken jack (low health with low ARM) is that once I put the Ripjaw into melee I then lose out on an arc node.  With some casters that might not be a major issue but with Scaverous I think it becomes an issue.  It's something I will have to judge when I need the arc node and when I need to try and lock or chew through a model.  

Perhaps if I choose to use them as a melee buzz saw I will have to a) choose my targets carefully and b) weaken them up a bit first so that I could feasibly kill the target thus freeing up my arc node as much as possible.  Otherwise I would run the risk of losing out on a potential source of damage and an arc node, which tends to not be a good thing for Cryx.

Well that about wraps up my thoughts about the Ripjaw, as I said it's not an extensive piece considering my few games with Cryx so far.  In the future my thoughts might change but until then happy gaming everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment