Monday, February 8, 2016

Game Day...2 days ago!

As I mentioned previously we have started our local Journeyman League and it looks like we've got quite a gathering indeed!  Since there were so many games being played sadly I will not discuss other people's games (I think we have like 8-9 people show up for day 1).  So how did my Cryx go?



First game I played again my own wife!  First things first however, my list:

Lord Exhumator Scaverous
-Leviathan
-Ripjaw x2

So Courtney and I played and as you can see our field didn't have a lot of middle terrain to block some of those shots.  Which worked against me as the game went on.  I was able to hold off her Hydra by using my telekinesis-vice lock trick and then I just wailed on it effectively taking it out of the game.  Unfortunately my focus on her Hydra with a Ripjaw and Leviathan left Scaverous out in the open near the sand bag middle.  I attempted to do the same trick with her Phoenix but I missed, and since his spells cost so damn much I didn't have any left to help mitigate damage.  Courtney walked the Phoenix away from the Ripjaw, shot Scavvy with boosted attack/damage putting a crit fire on him, and followed up with a shot from Ravyn.  Leaving me with only a couple hit boxes...Scavvy fell to fire.  A win to my wife!



Sadly I have no picture for this match but I played against Josh #2 (maybe eJosh?) and his Khador starter.  He went with pure battlebox pSorscha.  The game went fairly well as for playing his second game he did really well.  We moved towards the center, same terrain set up as the one with my wife, and I mainly kept to cover to help mitigate his bombard shots.  I more or less plinked his Juggernaut with my Leviathan and with a couple well-placed debuffs I was able to take down the jacks with ease.  At a good opportunity he was able to charge/assassinate Scavvy with Sorscha and of course used his feat.  He got me down to 1 box which meant that I was able to shake off stationary, boost to hit and damage and secured a win.  It was really close though and by all rights I feel like I should have lost but the dice were just that cruel.


 


Third game was with pJosh and his Circle.  He went with eKrueger, the Warpwolf Stalker, and the Gorax.  Josh was able to utilize the giant terrain piece in the center which just countered my tactics up to this point.  I couldn't effectively shoot with my Leviathan since he was in cover AND higher elevation, so I moved up and tried to get some shots in whenever I could.  It was difficult to get Scavvy and the Ripjaws into a good position for a magical assassination.
 



Just when I thought I could pull off something, Krueger hit Scavvy with telekinesis, pulling him 2" out into the open, and then pumped up the Stalker with the Gorax's animus.  A solid charge from the Stalker led to the demise of Scavvy and a win for pJosh.

Last game of the night was a mirror match against Mychaela's Cryx.  eDenny, a Leviathan, and 2 Nightwretches so it really was almost mirror!  I was able to creep up along the sidelines and take full advantage of cover, mitigating shots from the Leviathan and Wretches.  I decided to block her ability to channel but taking the initial charge with Ripjaws into the Wretches.  A couple Armor-Pierce attacks and I was feeling pretty good about the situation at hand.  I was able to get a Ripjaw in clear channel position, feated, and brought eDenny to a few hit boxes left!  I was feeling pretty confident with the way the situation was playing out.....until...well...as anyone who plays this game knows that can change easily.  I thought I could block off her Leviathan with mine but she was not engaged and had line of sight to Scavvy.  So with her popping her feat, hitting Scavvy with Curse of Shadows, and a fully pumped Leviathan who forfeited move for aiming, Scavvy ended up with several new spikes in his face.


Overall I lost pretty hard which has lead me to learn a lot about how to play Cryx, and also how rough Scavvy is to play in the low levels.  I can only hope that when he is able to get some support/units on the field he might shine a bit.  What makes him so rough is that you cannot do multiple things each turn and even then when you do one thing (i.e. cast a bunch of spells/melee/jack support) you end up not doing it as well as another caster might.  These are the things I've learned by going 1/3.

Well soon there will be more bat-reps/summaries coming in soon as we start the JL, tune in next time for some more losses.  Until then happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment