Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Painting Cryx: Jacks and Scavvy part 1

Hello everyone and I hope you are doing well this day!  If you've been following this blog you know that I've been working up to this point where I start painting.  Aside from my starter list I've actually managed to acquire a decent amount of Cryxian models.  Therefore I've started my painting journey now that everything is assembled and primed, so here's the start!

I primed my models with Krylon flat black and then did a spray over the top with satin white, mostly because it was a mistake in picking up the can and not going with flat.  To be honest the satin didn't change the texture/outcome of the painting later on in my opinion so I had no major qualms.  I did this so later coats (since I am using an airbrush) would have that semi-zenithal shading naturally.
For the basecoat
One of the major purchases I had once was to the get the complete Minitaire line of airbrush paints.  So far they've served me all right though some of the paints can come out a bit more glossy than I would like.  For this group of models I am starting off with a coat of dark brown moving up to a lighter tone and then topped off with a bone.  So I chose the following colors: Dark Leather, Jaundice, Ancient Bone, and then a quick top off with Cracked Soil.

In all honesty I didn't get the tone that I wanted that I would have if I had diluted GW's Bleached Bone (or whatever it's called now) and went with that.  Oh well, beggars can't be choosers at this point.  Next I did a spray over with GW's Agrax Earthshade and it ended up being a nice solid dirt encrusted bone (maybe more on dirt encrusted, I can work with this).
For the glow
For the last phase of this part I decided now would be the time for me to do the glowing effects.  Mostly because a lot of the Cryx areas have glowy bits but metal tubing that I will want to cover up next time.  So for the glow I went with a blue as I felt that it struck a good contrast with the darkened dirt bone stuff.  So I chose the following: Nautilus Blue, Lagoon Blue, Spellslinger Blue, and Skull White.
Work so far
I found that spraying directly on instead of trying to cover up entire sections worked better for me than what you see on tutorial videos.  Ironically I will have to go back and paint over the spots that were covered anyways as paint somehow crept up under the tape.  The worst part is going to be getting the right shade, maybe there's a shade out there that'll work.  In the interim this is where the models stand as of now.  Later I plan on doing the metallic areas and then start working on detail work and weathered effects.

Tune in next time for more painting and if you have any tips or comments feel free to leave them below.  Until then happy gaming folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment