Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Game time!

Hello and welcome to another exciting day of game time!  Honestly it's been more than a few days since me and Kevin actually played this game, but I only started writing it up today.  I blame XCOM 2 for this mostly as it's been a big focus of my attention.  That and I've been trying to prime models to prepare for painting.

Kevin was really kind to let me use his models and gave me a LOT of pointers about Cryx lists in general (and also playing WM in general).  He graciously went with playing as Scaverous in a 35 point list and he gave me a pretty solid Goreshade3 list to use.  After the game was said and done with I have to say I can see how the list he gave me was solid, but I don't feel like I did it justice.

Scenario used
 The scenario, #4 Fire Support, came from the 2015 Steamroller set and let me tell you it was something I was not mentally prepared for.  My scenario senses were pretty much rusted over and bone-dry so I was not prepped for it.  I think prior to this game I last played a Steamroller scenario about....hmm....a year?  That should indicate the amount of skill I lack with this game in general.
End of my turn 1
So after deployment I moved my guys on up hoping to avoid being charged by Kevin's Mechanithralls but also to get myself ready for a charge-in.  He was able to knock out a large portion of the Blackbane's Ghost Raiders with the Withershadow and Scavvy himself while moving into better position with his Mechanithralls.  I found it rather awkward the way I deployed my Soul Hunters and didn't feel like I could have done much with them at this point.
My feat turn
I used my feat soon after by running up all of the remaining Ghost Raiders into his line, mostly I think I was going for a stall at this point.  I still didn't really know if I was going to try and win via assassination or scenario, but with the Ghost Raiders gone the likely victory would have been assassination.

Prepare your booty for Dark Industries! - WSC
I think a highlight at this point was that Kevin was able to use the Withershadow's Dark Industries on my Defiler (as he used telekinesis to turn it around before they charged in) and turned it into 'jack for him.
End game
Things got really desperate for me as I was left with only a few models left on the table.  It ended up being an assassination attempt after I cleared up some Mechanithralls and a Necrosrugeon but first Kevin made his attempt at killing Goreshade and knocked him down to 4 boxes.  After that Goreshade did his thing and ended up winning the game.  Granted it was also due to a lot of pointers and tips so I won't say that it was by my own hand.

It was a good game as I was able to see how Scaverous will be playing on the field as well as seeing what other options Cryx can give me as I go further down into the faction.  It was also pretty eye-opening as to where I am as a player and just how much I need to grow in this game.  Hates off to you Kevin for giving me a game, letting me use your models, and for playing Scaverous!  Until then everyone take care and happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment