Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The current gaming scene from my eyes

So I've been a long term-fan of the miniature war-gaming scene with several years of experience under my belt.  Granted compared with some of the old vets I've still a long ways to come.  I have seen Games Workshop in their earlier, golden years.  I've also watched them fall under the wicked ways of corporate greed.  With that being said I've been thinking about the current gaming scene as far as war games go and how things have come along over the years.

Oh boy just how things have come along!

I have to say I am glad in some ways that the rise in greed by a certain company has led to the rise of all these others little companies as well.  I can't say I can verify that the two are correlated but it just feels that way.  I feel that now there are many more flavors of your game to choose from and the diversity continues to grow.  Do I feel that war games fell to the might of the Vidya Game?  Probably not completely, it always has and will be a niche market and people who love war games will continue to do so.

Certainly I think in the past several years there has been a trend for games to be smaller scale in terms of models used and the correlation of how detailed some of them have been.  It's almost as if the less you have the more attention you can give to each model.  I personally enjoy these skirmish scale games as they offer some really great tactical opportunities.  I cannot relinquish the enjoyment from larger scale games completely and having the satisfaction that they bring to the table as well.

Overall while this being my first post I didn't want to get too in-depth of how things I have been (being on-call while typing makes things a bit more stressful than they should), I did want to touch upon the idea that I think war gaming is still healthy and alive and will continue to do so for some time.   I look forward to writing up more stuff in the future as well and hope you enjoy it also.

As a result I have been currently invested in the following games (and look forward to getting into more!):
Warmahordes (Trollbloods and PoM player)
Warhammer 40k (Chaos Marines, Eldar, Blood Angels)
Infinity (Nomads, PanO, Combined, Aleph, USAriadna)
Bolt Action (Britain)
X-Wing (nothing in particular)

Games I've been eyeing up:
Firestorm Armada/Planetfall
Malifaux
Gates of Antares

No comments:

Post a Comment