Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Warhammer 30k? Is it something worth getting into?

Good afternoon wargamer friends and welcome back to another set of musings.  Today I wanted to open up my thoughts to you all about my subconscious desire to start a 30k Legion force.  I'd like to hear your thoughts about the matter but here's what has been going on.

Since GW made it relatively easy (and cheap by their standards) to start a 30k force with the Betrayal at Calth game, you see a lot more people are willing to start looking at 30k with more serious intent.  I've seen many a established Youtube channel post up about their forces they are starting (Guerilla Miniature Games, MiniWargaming, etc).  Combined with the Horus Heresy novels and the full support of Forge World there are many ways to get a solid 30k force on the table now.
What you get for 150USD painted up as Word Bearers
I mean let's be real for about 150USD in the BAC game you get 30 Tactical Marines, 5 Terminators, 1 Praetor, 1 Chaplain, and 1 Contemptor Dread.  Wow.  I've not seen a deal like that since...well...I can't remember to be honest.  Considering that a 10 man Tactical Squad is 40USD and you get 3 of them, why you've already made up the comparative cost.  Not to mention that Terminators are 50, the 2 character equivalents are about another 40, and the Contemptor Dread is I think 70~ estimate you are saving about 130USD.  Once again, wow.

No wonder people are starting 30k armies these days, the start-in cost compared with the 'traditional' method of the entire model set coming from FW it is ridiculously easy (and a hell of a lot more cheap).  One could easily get 2 box sets and scour eBay for a third Contemptor Dread and you have a great starting force.  If you didn't want 60 Tactical Marines then I am sure you can get a set of the upgrade/conversion kits from FW to get your chosen unit.  Will you be able to get away with buying nothing from FW?  Depends on the level of dedication and work you want to put into the models, but if you're like me then you will eventually get some FW stuff.
Horus himself.  If there's ever a reason to want to get into 30k: Primarchs.
I want to talk about some of the rules for a second as well.  I've not mentioned it on the blog, but I tend to really like FW rules.  I like them not because I think they are more balanced (though I tend to think they are better than base GW rules) but I like them because they tend to a) make more sense and b) are full of flavor.  I have read over the different Legion rules for a few days now and I've been enjoying it.  The rules appear to reflect the different nature of the Legions which just resonate.  Not only that but to help differentiate between the MEQ vs MEQ that is pretty much 30k, but each legion get their own special units and Rites of War (sort of like a formation in 7th ed. from my understanding).  Nice!
Is this the start of GW having some good ideas?  Maybe?
So is it worth getting into?  I can't really say one way or the other.  On one hand I can see the appeal and believe me the temptation is quite real.  On the other hand I think it will depend on the community to give it to longevity it needs to be a solid investment (though you could always take them for a 40k army I believe).  With the board game that came out I think it's safe to say that people will be taking a more serious look into it than the wistful daydreaming it has been when it was solely FW.  I know for me if I can find a way to make it affordable then who knows...maybe Iron Warriors...Space Wolves...Alpha Legion...one of them might end up being a new army. 

Happy gaming out there you all.

2 comments:

  1. It is tempting. My reasons for not diving right in are personal, but my secondary objection was: how many people in my local community are doing 30k? Turns out it's quite a few! So I am contemplating doing an Emperors Children Legion that I might also be able to roll into my 40k chaos army as well.... but I could also make the same arguement form Ultramarines as well. Or Space Wolves. See, my primary objection is personal as I continue to fight a war of indecision in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely shared the same objection with the community, considering the cost of entry I didn't want to start up a force and then find out that no one played. Now that I have found out it's pretty active...well...hmmm...Iron Warriors...Night Lords...Alpha Legion...hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete