Monday, March 28, 2016

Paint-update

Good morning folks and welcome to another update here at Wargamer Ramblings.  It's been a bit since I've been able to regularly post.  I blame real-life and work, why can't they leave me alone to do these hobby things?  Ah well.


The almighty Lord Exhumator Scaverous!
I'll be honest with you dear reader.  I've not been doing well keeping up with my painting in terms of taking pictures and making sure I go over every step like I wanted to.  I wanted to detail what I did when I painted my models in case you liked any of my ideas.  Unfortunately when I start painting I have a tendency of zoning out quickly and I 99% of the time forget to take pictures at all.  Then I remember that I wanted to after the fact, and I'm left sitting with models in various stages of completion.

So instead I will talk a bit about what I've done/learned/tried out.  We'll see how that works
I'm more pleased with the brown in this manner than earlier
I've found that my original basecoat combination didn't work as well as I wanted it to.  It was nice but I didn't quite get that shade I was looking for.  So now I've found that if I do a layer of a really dark brown, followed with a Vermin Brown (I think XV-88), a couple washes of Agrax Earthshade, finally a drybrush of this concrete-beige that I cannot remember the name of.  The end result is that I am really pleased.

I've also changed some of my techniques for the blue glow in that I have started using Minitaire Plasma Glow for the wash.  Since it's a Ghost Tint (candy) it has a different texture and effect but after trying it out on a couple of jacks/glows I've got to say I really like it.  I've also used it as a way to get some of my cloaks done in a quick and easy fashion. 
Stage 1
Stages 2 + 3
What I've done is that I've followed this video's guiding principles here, and I started airbrushing the areas I wanted to use the Ghost Tint on.  So I started with Minitaire's Raven Black, followed with a  45 degree angle of Coal, and then hit up the spots I wanted to be bright with Skull White.  Then a nice layer of Plasma Glow and boom!  A gradient shaded cloak with a nice color I'm pleased with.

Stage 4 and I like this shade of blue
Finally I've been utilizing some of the GW technical paints and weathering powders from Secret Weapon.  I've used them before in the past but it's the weathering pigments I always found to be tricky.  I've primarily stuck with using the blood and oxide technical paints and I've not have any major issues.  Even if you're not a fan of Citadel paints, these two are definitely solid choices to get that extra bit of detail in easily.  The weathering powders well...we'll see if they end up being used right or not.
I used a lot of weathering powder
So that's about what's been going on paint-wise.  Over the past couple of weeks I've managed to finish off Scavvy, 5 of the chicken jacks, Erebus, and I've started working on the Skarlock, Pistol Wraiths, and Withershadow Combine.  Hopefully I'll be able to finish those soon and share with you my results.  Until then happy gaming everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment