Friday, October 21, 2016

Taking a look at my personal inventory and re-evaluating my gaming life

Good day to you my fellow gamers and welcome to another segment of Wargamer Ramblings!  So now that we’re done talking about Guild Ball for a bit (not completely done mind you, just taking a breather) I wanted to write up this little article.  I was inspired by my two friend’s blogs who wrote something similar, and I’m sure you’ve all seen an article of it before, but I wanted to take a moment and put that reviewing lens on my own life….


That’s right ladies and gentlemen I’m going to look at all the games I’m in, have/had armies, or expressed an interest in.  Let’s be real with each other, there are a lot of games out there in the table top miniature world and there are a lot of communities growing for each game.  As my friend Clayton has said before (paraphrased here) we live in a golden age of gaming where there are a lot of games, a lot of rule inspirations/copying, and many ideas being thrown around.  It’s a good idea from time to time to sit down and examine where we are at in this hobby so we know what we love, why we love, and who we love.  Let’s get started in no particular order, and by the way these are just opinions so if you don’t agree that’s ok with me J This might be a hefty ready again so please get a drink, snack, turn on some music and enjoy!



Hoo boy I wanted to start off with this one given its prolific presence in our community.  It used to be said that no matter what game you played, any wargamer had a 40k army in their collection and for most I would say it still holds true.  This game has a place in my heart because of my long history with the world of 40k and it being my first foray into plastic crack.  From the start with Space Crusade to my very first army of Blood Angels, 40k and its lore has history with my soul.  I’m sure it’s the same for others too, many people I’ve spoken to have strong opinions of 40k regardless of where those opinions may lie.  So chances are you will likely get a strong opinion when you bring up 40k at your LGS.

So where am I with this game?  Well at best I can say is that I have 2 active armies and would still play a game with someone, but it’s been a long time since I purchased anything 40k related or even invested much time into.  Not only because of my perceived price-to-model ratio being poor but also because I am frustrated with GW as a company in general.  I am not a fan of the choices they are making lately in terms of model aesthetics (I cannot stand the genestealer cult) and I find it really difficult to connect with some of the models being released.  Additionally it doesn’t seem like there is any sense of how they update the rules/armies except for whatever sells more, which in the scope of the industry is not really that appealing.  For a guy who loves Chaos Marines, having most other armies updated to 7th edition (and a couple of new “factions” released) whilst not seeing anything coming your way can get frustrating and really discouraging.

A couple things that has been bothering in a mechanical sense was the way that turns went and the low dice variance scores.  For one I no longer am a fan of the you-go-I-go mechanic as much as I used to be.  I’ve seen waaaaaaaay too many games dramatically shift in turn one when X blows up Y number of units or takes out prize model Z because my gun/unit/deathstar is so super effective~! One game in particular stands out when I saw a Blood Angel drop pod assault take out half of a Tyranid force in turn 1.  Fluffy? Yes.  Fun? Not for the other person receiving the shafting.  As for dice variance I think that in a world of genetically altered super humans and daemons and monsters, having a d6 to rely on for variance is no longer sufficient.  It doesn’t take into account the various differences inherently with each model, or possible environmental situations, and I feel like continued adherence to an old system stifles what could be an otherwise and improved and amazing game system.  So for me to come back I think if they maintained the scale of combat but just revamped the rules, including all the damn armies, to streamline then it would be worth taking another look at it with my wallet.


This is a game I’ve been recently getting into and for many, including myself, it’s becoming the replacement game of 40k.  I mean let’s be real, one of the designers is Rick Priestly.  It’s a game that has a lot of the elements and scale of 40k, has with vehicles and squad combat and other weapons of war, but set in a less grimdark and a harder sci-fi spin on things.  I find the lore to be in a way liberating because the background fluff allows it to be so.  Initially I wasn’t really into this game because I didn’t find the model aesthetics to be that great.  That is until they started to come out with more models and the divergence became more apparent and appetizing.  Now I can see how the different factions look on a whole and it’s starting to look more appealing with each release.  I just fell in love with the Spartan feel that the Algoryn bring to the table and so….

Now I am fully committed (also in part due to my gaming group getting into it hardcore) and have a soon to be functioning Algoryn force.  I am a fan of their dice mechanics and their turn system which I feel is a better representation to the battlefield and offers greater variance on the models.  Using the d10 system you can have models with obvious strengths and weaknesses that actually matter on the field instead of it boiling down a simple d6.  Also the randomized orders add a good element to the game because it at least gives you a chance to have that sense of control in a game and you don’t have to worry too much about being shafted turn 1, unless you have bad luck.  Which then the next game it might be completely different, which is better than having to worry if you get first turn or not every game!


I have a British army but I’ve not invested as much time or energy into it as some of my fellow gaming crew has.  When looking at it solely from Bolt Action’s perspective it’s a fun game yes, but I just don’t have the emotional investment into historical gaming.  I love WW2 stuff but for some reason it just doesn’t click in my wargaming.  With Warlord Games’ new introduction of the Konflikt rules and the alternative time-line bit going on, this might be a revived interest however.  I can feel it clicking more  The heavy infantry for what’s available out now looks great and I think with the quirky units coming out I feel like I can get in on this a bit more.  I’ll have to keep an eye out for what comes out for the British, but here’s hoping for some cool ideas and models in the near future! 


All right the next big game I’m invested in and that is Privateer Press’ Warmahordes.  I currently own a significant number of Protectorate models, a good number of Trollbloods, and a small Cryxian force.  I played a significant number of games in Mk 2 and participated in a few journeyman leagues as well as a couple steamrollers, so I’ve had some experience.  So here’s where I am with Warmahordes.  I still play it, it’s still fun, but the change from Mk 2 to 3 really felt more of a big rules errata than anything else.  Sure they changed the models around and increased/changed points so you could make more sense of it, but ultimately I still feel like we’re playing a shinier version of Mk 2.  It wasn’t a bad change, it just wasn’t a big enough change I suppose.  I guess in the end I was expecting some major changes but instead got a tweaked version of what I’m used to.  Not necessarily a bad thing, just a smidge disappointing.  Still it’s a good competitive game and a great game to organize tournaments around so I give it credit there, also still one of the best games to slow-grow into.  I still think the rule writing is one of the best in terms of clarity and comprehension and it has easily been the standard for which I judge other games in their rule composition.  Unfortunately the community has tunneled too hard on the competitive aspects of this game and so I tend to prefer playing with my friends who are not so focused on min-maxing or being hypercompetitive.  As a result of all this I feel like I am in this sense ennui when I think about this game.  Would I still play it?  Oh definitely.  Do I want to? Ehhhhh maybe.  Am I excited about future releases? Not really. 


Do I even have to go over this one?  Seriously I am in love with this game.  The rules are easy to grasp with a lot of depth behind it.  There is a lot of team variances that make playing each team different.  I am really intrigued by the game’s campaign/seasonal play and I wouldn’t mind trying this game out in that context.  They take into consideration team captains (i.e. players) doing the “wheeling and dealing” of the politics behind the scenes before a game is played.  The models are also pretty solid in regard to their sculpts and the different guilds each have their own thematic feel.  I like that it’s not super high-fantasy either and I enjoy the gritty medieval background.  Also I respect the company in that they have made efforts to get people to just play their game without any commitment to purchasing a single thing.  I mean how many companies do you know of that allow you print off paper models of their models, their tokens, and rules for free without charging you a thing for it?  I can’t think of anyone else, but Steamforged Games do.  They even put out a Vassal module so you can play online, and having tried it out it’s pretty solid! 


I love the idea of Infinity, I really do.  I also love the models, some of the best sculpts hands down. The background? Sci-fi warband battles with all kinds of crazy technology and cyberwarfare with vastly different factions, what’s not to love?  The problem is that I find the rules to be pretty hefty at times and sometimes it just hurts my brain.  Literally, thinking about the rules makes me go “uuuuuuuuugggh.”  It takes some dedicated time to learn the rules and then to implement them in games takes practice.  I think the moment I realized that the game was too hefty was when I tried to teach it to 2 friends of mine.  At first we struggled with a lot of stumbling with the rules, taking into consideration the different actions per order/gun distances/modifiers/die result/so on and then when my friend asked “hey I heard you can hack in this game right?” I sort of made an unnatural noise and well…we just moved on without hacking.  I love the models but I don’t think I can dedicate the time it would take to this game to master it.  It’s a great game if that is what you want but it’s a game you’d have to divert a lot of time to truly get good at, and to master the rules.  I respect anyone who does it because compared to me I would be a bumbling toddler.  Maybe I can do an occasional game or two but it’s otherwise really too big to mentally digest for my regular wargaming habitry. 


Another small skirmish game that I’ve been a fan of but set in a not-so-distant future.  I love the background story of collapsing nations and the subsequent uprising of mega-conglomerates with their spec-ops teams.  The game just went through a second edition and a lot of their rules have been updated with a pretty sleek and sexy rulebook.  Ironically my biggest gripe is that some of the rules can be unclear at times and sometimes it just seems that the editor didn’t do their job right.  Still the different MERCS teams available all offer different play options and each have their unique aesthetic which I love.  Still it’s a quick game with a bloody combat system that rewards smart play and it’s been a blast each time I’ve played.  Also it’s cheap as hell when you can get a whole faction for $35, score!  If the company continues supporting the game then I foresee some great potential.


I would love to get into Malifaux, but we don’t have the community to support it I’m afraid.  I love the card mechanic compared to simple die rolling (not that there’s anything wrong with dice) and the game play hits all the points on the list that I love.  Small scale/quickish battles? Check.  Models with some unique rules? Check.  Faction variance? Check.  Unique/quirk mechanics? Check.  Undead? Check.  I think Wyrd has done a great job with revising their game from the first edition and I think (from a distance) that this edition is pretty solid.  I like the quirky aesthetic they have going on with each faction and the feel of Malifaux’s models are enticing.  One thing that draws me in is how you develop an army list.  Instead of coming in with a list you generate like other games, instead you figure out your objectives first (which is done per player, so you each have different objectives) then you make your list.  So if you are playing an Arcanist faction but have more objective based goals then you might use a different crew of models than if you were wanting to kill everything on the table.  To me that’s pretty appealing and it encourages you to have a collection to draw upon should you come up with a different scenario.  Still without a local community to go off of I don’t think I’ll be getting into this game despite the appeal I have with it.


What’s to say other than that it’s a game I have an army for but probably won’t get much play out of it?  I think that the rules are pretty solid and well-written with a lot to offer for fans of old Warhammer Fantasy.  Unfortunately I think at this point there just isn’t enough of a fan base in my area to keep the engine running, and so despite having an army I don’t have the opponent to play.  I have played a couple games and I had a lot of fun, but without opponents it will be low on my list.  If you are interested the rules are free as is all the army lists and other bits!


So I wanted to mention this one as it was the successor to GW’s old WHFB line and for many people this major change has caused a lot of contention in the community.  I mean a lot of contention. I myself was initially part of the “burn everything related to AoS” group but now that the embers have cooled off a bit I’ve been taking a different look at the game.  The community who plays seem to really like this game and some of the new models coming out have been appealing to a degree.  I am careful with saying that last bit because of GW’s recent artistic direction and so I have reservations about future models.  That being said the recent release of the General’s Handbook has given me incentive to look into the game and so depending on our community I might dabble a bit into AoS…maybe.


I pretty much can sum up how I feel about this game in a sentence.  I have the models, I like playing the game, I don’t care enough about it to play outside of being asked or to sink more money into it.  That’s that!


So I am lumping up these two because not only are they from the same company and the same universe, but my feelings about them are also the same!  I think these games fill that sort of niche game fantasy of mine with epic scaled/space ship combat on a large scale.  I like the model aesthetics (especially for Planetfall) and I think the game system in theory would be fun and engaging to play.  With that in mind I am concerned about getting into these games for 2 main reasons: lack of community members and also a perceived lack of support from the company.  Now I can’t speak for Spartan Games but I honestly don’t know how much they are invested into Firestorm at this point.  To me it seems that they are all about the Halo game they have and coupled with their website design and low frequency of communication, I am left wondering if they left Firestorm on the backburner or not?  So I hope that they are invested somewhat into Firestorm so that my fears are to be assuaged and then potentially I could get into this game…one day.


I love the setting and the variance of models in Dark Age.  The background theme is sci-fi with wasteland warrior.  It also helps that the lore is pretty interesting and when you start getting into the storylines you get some pretty badass characters that you can bring to the table!  What I’ve enjoyed lately are the new model sculpts coming out that update the game and bring it in line with other models from other games.  I know a friend of mine enjoys the older sculpts but for me the updated ones are what will make this game more appealing for me.  One thing that I do love though is that each faction, and their various sub-factions, play differently and can accommodate different play styles.  That’s true for most games these days but for some reason I feel like it is a more prominent feature in Dark Age and is one of their selling points.  You can have two players both playing a Forsaken force but with different Saints and now each player is approaching the game from a completely different approach.  I have a small 500pt Kukulkani set but my heart is waiting for the new updated Ice Caste models as I believe I will enjoy their playstyle more, but I do like space Aztecs.


I am interested but I don’t know how much I like the models or the game system.  I think with new releases coming out I will have a better idea of if I can get connected with a faction or not.  Maybe I’ll get a demo and get a better idea of the game but I’ve heard good things about it from others so I am definitely willing to give it a shot.


This is a lot of games to go over, but not every game has been invested into and not every game I’ve invested to have current sway.  I’m sure if you were to take a look at your own list you’d have different thoughts and loves for each game, it’s what keeps us as a big community and powers our games along!  So what are your games and why?  Feel free to leave some of your thoughts and until then happy gaming out there!

2 comments:

  1. Nice write up buddy! Always glad to see another with a sickness on par with mine! Bwhahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was going to be a short article but noooooope. The addiction is real here.

      Delete