Saturday, October 29, 2016

Putting together some Algoryn for my Gates

Greetings and salutations fellow wargamers!  I hope you’ve been enjoying your time doing whatever it is you have been up to lately.  Which is precisely why I am going to talk a bit about a recent project of mine that I’ve been doing.  I know it’s been awhile since I’ve posted any WIP or battle reports and it seems to be a lot of reviewing, but fear not!  Today I am going to go into some of my recent Gates of Antares work with my Algoryn!  Here we go!
The bulk of the glorious Algoryn force
In our local gaming group we’ve had a couple of gents, Mike and Clayton, who have been bringing word of this game to the masses.  At first I was hesitant because I didn’t see a lot of difference in the models or the appeal in the gameplay.  Well long story short their games and stories coupled with some maneuvering led me to become intrigued and eventually a full buy in.  I settled on the Algoryn faction because I found their pragmatically Spartan feel and the overall militarized theme appealed to me so I decided that would be the group for me!

Here they are assembled but still needing a bath
So I started with the 500 pt Patrol force which gave me a pretty good backbone to go with but I knew that I wouldn’t be satisfied with just that.  At the time I decided to buy in Warlord had released several other models for the range including the 2 models that did it for me: the Drop Capsule and the Mag Mortar.  It’s like they knew that in another sci-fi war game I loved the idea of troops dropping in pod like vehicles and also bombarding them with artillery!  Well at the time of this write-up I couldn’t grab some Drop Capsules like I wanted and instead I focused on getting the troops necessary.  From Warlord I ended up getting a few things including several drone/probe types for whatever my forces might need.
So clean, so shiny!
One thing that I found the Algoryn have are a lot of good support choices in the army, so with in mind I went ahead and grabbed as many weapon teams as possible.  Additionally I felt that 2 AI squads, while a good start, would not be enough to hold the line.  So I grabbed one more and rounded it off with an extra trooper so that I had maxed out units.  I liked the idea of the AI Assault Squad and Infiltrators so I went ahead and grabbed a unit each as well.  Now for my weapon teams I ended up with at least 2 of: X-Launchers, Mag Light Supports, Plasma Cannons, and Compression Cannons.  I would have liked a Plasma Light Support but the model is not out yet so alas I have none.  Additionally I grabbed a Medic Team because hey those two can keep us alive a bit more on the field.
Getting those winter/ice bases ready
Now in terms of everything else I can only take 1 tactical choice so I didn’t go overboard with my Mag Mortars so I grabbed one and a Compression Bombard for variety.  I did end up getting a group of skimmers but being on squads of 3 and no more or less, and only 1 squad unless you take a skimmer command as well, I went with only the one.  Additionally I am waiting on Warlord’s package to come in before I can also bring to bear an Avenger Wing as well.  I would like to see how these vehicles come into play in terms of battlefield efficacy and I think given some field testing I might be interested in investing in more of the skimmers.
Here they are ready to be primed up
So that sums up what I’ve invested into and assembled for now, once I get my package in I should have those elements added in as well.  I’m hoping in the near future I can get a bit more into the color scheme and maybe toss out a bit of the lore I’ve developed.  So this is what is keeping me busy, so I hope your own projects are going well also.  Until then fellow gamers happy gaming and good luck!


1 comment: