Monday, August 15, 2016

Feel like a late posted batrep? Why yes please!

Good morning/evening/night/whatever fellow war gamers and welcome to another exciting battle report!  I'm your host here at Wargamer Ramblings and I hope you have been having a fantastic time doing whatever it is you are doing!  I know for me it's been a lot of model assembly from GenCon but that's a post for another time!  Today I wanted to post up the battle I had with my local Cryx guru Kevin with my first true Mk3 game, 75pts and the SR2016 Incursion scenario!  Let's get started!

The scenario
For reference here was my list (mind you I am rusty with PoM, like really rusty, so it might not be the best list):

  • Severius 1
    • Devout
    • Reckoner
    • Blessing of Vengeance
  • Knights Exemplar w/ UA
  • Knights Exemplar w/ UA
  • Full unit of Exemplar Errants w/ UA
  • Exemplar Errant Seneschal
  • Vassal of Menoth
  • Wracks
  • Covenant of Menoth
  • Min unit of the Choir
Also here is what I remember Kevin taking though it might not be 100% accurate (if it isn't, sorry Kevin!)
  • Deneghra 1
    • x2 Deathripper
    • Nightmare
    • Madeylyn de Corbeau
  • Min unit of Carrion Thralls
  • Max unit of Carrion Thralls
  • Max unit of Croe's Cutthroats
  • Max unit of Satyxis Blood Witches w/ UA
  • Max unit of Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters
All right so I will level with you all.  This is a really late batrep.  Like two weeks old.  I've been busy with GenCon, work, wife duties, and assembling new models to put this up.  So this is what I remember:

My deployment sucked.  I essentially put my force into two blocks whereas Kevin spread his out and favored my left flank.  In doing so our first turn was mostly with moving into better positions while I ended up taking a couple of his Carrion Thralls out with some Errant crossbow bolts.  The second turn however is when it started to get sticky for me.  For one Kevin was able to jam up my movement with Carrion Thralls.  While not particularly deadly they served their purpose, to keep me in place.  I did not move very much this game sadly.  The loss of Pathfinder and my poor deployment skills really put a damper on my game plan.
Bad PoM, bad deployment!
When I was able to move up Kevin was able to take advantage of his ranged units but also having stealth.  Without many options of my own I couldn't really retaliate.  If I did manage to move up Kevin was ready and either shot them up before they could get a charge or he was able to tie my units up with cheap/hard to hit models.  Kevin was able to move around my left flank so freely you'd think it was American territory over there.  My Reckoner took a solid couple hits early on and he was pretty much out of the game in terms of being useful, so instead of trying to accomplish something with him I let him rot away.  On my right side the Errants and subsequent follow up with the Knights did their best to clear the troops but he had so many!  So many bodies.
I just managed to clear out those cursed birds!
Eventually Kevin was able to secure two control points, the center and left side, and put me in a poor position.  I had used my feat to clip Denny's counter-feat I felt was coming up but it didn't matter at this point.  My unit were jammed up, I couldn't move through the small forest quickly enough, I was fighting a battle of attrition and the attrition won.  I had played into Cryx's strength without realizing it until afterwards.  The last turn of the game Kevin was sitting on 3 control points and all it would take was a "activate-everyone-not-do-anything-I-win" kind of thing and I couldn't assassinate Denny.  She was too far away.  He had the jacks block my path and I couldn't move through.  Thus I conceded like a gentleman and took my loss well.  Cryx victory!
My poor options at hand
That didn't go as planned hmm...
So my first real PoM Mk3 fight went...well...rough.  I definitely need practice not only mechanically but with list building and deployment.  I felt that maybe with some different units I might have had a chance but not having pathfinder on the Errants sucks ass.  Vindictus anyone?  Anyways it was a great game with a great opponent and once again gave me a lot to think upon.  If anyone has had any recent games let's hear about it, until then take care everyone and happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment