Monday, May 2, 2016

Game day and an end of an era

Good morning fellow gamers and welcome to a long awaited post.  It certainly has been awhile but truth be told I've not done anything worthy of posting.  I've taken a small hiatus from painting, I've had no games, and I've not assembled any models.  I don't think I've even really read up on any news related to gaming.  Suffice to say I've recently had some gaming done, last Saturday in fact, as part of the end of our Journeyman league.

I ended up playing 3 games, only one of which I was able to get some pics with my phone (it was being used as the deathclock for the first 2).  So I'll be brief with the 3 game synopses.

First game was against Josh and his Circle army, we played the Outflank scenario and I went with pDenny and he with pKromac.  My list focused on having a lot of bodies on the field with the ability to spawn more models (mechanithrall/necrosurgeon + bane thralls/BL Tartarus).  Josh was anticipating more of a jack challenge and so brought some heavier beasts with him and not so much in the way of infantry.  Suffice to say pDenny's debuffing easily took care of his Gnarlhorn and Warpwolf Stalker, eliminated his Trackers, and had him concede the game.  At one point his Stalker had a -6 to his ARM (Dark Shroud + Crippling Grasp + Feat lel) and the look on his face?  Priceless.
Mike vs Josh next to my game
Second game was against Sam and his Trollbloods.  This time I went with Scaverous versus pMadrak as Sam was still learning the game overall and I figured I'd like to try Scaverous with a full army and without the Ripjaws and Leviathan.  Sam had positioned Madrak up front without a wall to block incoming spells or shots.  So all in all it was a quick game with Scaverous hitting him with a Feast of Worms followed with Telekinesis to allow Erebus loaded with focus to charge in for the win.
My setup for the last game
My last game was against Courtney and her Retribution.  She decided to try a different warcaster and went with Garryth while I went ahead and took pAsphyxious.  Suffice to say her list was not prepared for a scenario and so she had some difficulty holding the objectives.  We ended up playing Incursion as she was not used to scenarios and we felt that it was a good "starter."  I do have to give her Mage Hunters some credit, they did not die out as quickly as I had hoped.  I have to give my mechanithralls credit, three of them took out her parasited Phoenix in one charge move (much to her annoyance).  Eventually Courtney took a gamble to charge Gaspy and secure a win, and honestly she would have if she were not an inch short.  Subsequently with a fully loaded pGaspy (who still had his feat up btw) he was able to stab Garryth to death and secure the win.
Mid-way through the game
So with that the Journeyman League ended but also my last game of Mk II with it as well.  Since Mk III is around the corner I have resigned my current Warmahordes gaming, as many have done as well in the community.  What a wild ride it has been.

I started getting into Warmahordes a little bit after Mk II came out.  Mike and I both viewed the game with hesitancy as we weren't too keen on steampunk.  With some disillusionment from GW, the availability of the starter rules from PP, and the relatively cheaper buy-in price we started proxying some models from 40k and tried out this game.  It was a blast!  I still remember Terminators being my warjacks and a space marine captain as my warcaster.  Mike dabbled in Circle before coming to terms with his Legion heritage and I was drawn by the Protectorate's deliverers (ironic since they aren't that great of a unit in Mk II).  Since then we invested heavily both in money, time, and heart.  There's something to be said about a game like Warmahordes that inspires an entire community to come together as it has, and it's one I am proud to be a part of.
When you find that game that just treats you right
So with the coming of Mk III I've got to say I've been very pleased with how Mk II has been for me.  While not perfect there were many a good game had because of the clearly written rules.  I've met plenty of great people, had a lot of good conversations, and great memories with this game.  Hell even my wife started playing (which says a lot if you know her).  So I bid a fond farewell to Mk II (kind of brings a tear to my heart) and I look forward to Mk III.  It might be a crazy ride in the future as well but I am sure it'll be a good one.
How it feels to say goodbye to a cherished edition
How about you all out there, how do you feel about your career in Mk II and the upcoming Mk III?  Let me know what you think and I bid you happy gaming and great die rolls.  Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Personally I'm not a fan of Warmahordes but I will look at Mark 3 with hesitation and perhaps try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I'm not a fan of Warmahordes but I will look at Mark 3 with hesitation and perhaps try it.

    ReplyDelete