Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Spending February deep in the Underhive

Greetings wargamers and hobby enthusiasts!  I hope your month of February was well spent and that you are faring well.  We're a few days into March already so I'll keep this short and brief hopefully.

As much as I wanted to get my Bonereapers worked on this month, I ended up not only doing the exact opposite of that but also got a large share of gaming instead.  A buddy of mine who had spent the better part of the year away for work came back and stayed with us for a couple of weeks.  Suffice to say we ended up doing a lot of tabletop gaming to a point where I have been enjoying the break.

While we played a large variety of games, 3 of them managed to stick out the most: Age of Sigmar, Warcry, and Necromunda. 

BONEWALL

When you forget your Lord of Change you get Lord of Cups
My friend plays a few armies in 40k and one of them is Tzeentch Daemons, so it really wasn't too much of a stretch to get him to try out AoS.  After our first game, I think it got him hooked because he ended up swelling his ranks with Kairic Acolytes and Tzaangors.  He managed to get a game in with my dear friend and Ironjawz player Corey (who gave those slippery daemons a boot to the head/birdface) and with each game, we played it was like we both got hooked.

Boot to da face!
I managed to cycle out a couple of legion traits in our games and tested the Null Myriad and Petrifex Legions against his Tzeentch dudes.  While I like the idea of the Null Myriad, I think it really is niche in its matchups but when you get that matchup is it like golden honey.  The Petrifex Legion is just straight up busted though.  A +1 save to everyone AND I can spend a discipline point to add -1 to my rend?  Oh, and the basic bonedaddy unit can reroll failed saves in the combat phase? 



Warcry is just a solid game.  Fun, easy to pick up, and interesting.  It's better than Kill-Team.  I said it, but we were all thinking it!  It was a nice warm-up game or just quick "hey work sucked and I'm tired except for this" kind of game.
CAW CAW there's Batman!
Now if you've read my blog some before I know I've mentioned Necromunda before but I've not really like dived into the game as I did this time around.  We sat down and after a couple of games, it just clicked like it hadn't before.  Now I'm hooked on it, despite the flaws of the system and the flaws of GW.  It was so fun that my friend bought a gang for himself.


As a side note, the Corpse Grinder Cult is bullshit*


I really like the game and I think it's thematic as all hell, which I really appreciate.  The potential shenanigans an Arbitrator can bring to a campaign is like music to my ears and just resonates with my years of being a DM.  It certainly feels like the game is a "diamond in the rough if that rough kept going because of GW" sort of adventure but despite that, with some polish, it would be phenomenal!  I liked it so much that the only painting I finished this month was my Goliath gang. 
The Forge Kings


Speaking of Goliaths, I appreciate that GW is putting forth some effort on making the older gangs a little more interesting than they have before.  Don't get me wrong, the differences between the gangs before were there, but now with House of Chains it's even more evident.  I originally wasn't too interested in the beefy boys of the Underhive but now that I can take a skill that lets me flex and scare people because my biceps and pecs are amazing?  I mean how can I refuse?  Also if I take cigarettes my more stupid gangers think my leader is so cool they get a bonus because of it?  I can elbow drop off of a ledge to kill a dude?

The game against brother: Cawdor leader charged Enforcer sniper, got killed/bonked by a Shockmace after failing all rolls
So yeah.  Not a lot of painting but enough gaming to stoke the fires of passion for a couple of budding game-loves.  I hope your February was just as kind or fortunate and I hope you've enjoyed your hobby time.  Until next time folks stay safe and happy wargaming!

*I mean sure they might have some weaknesses/counters (according to Internet Wisdom) but when you group activate your Butcher and Cutter to use Overseer on said Cutter and he moves 15+d3" for a charge and gets like stupid amounts of attacks that hit on a 3+ and deal enough damage and AP to where it just auto-takes out guys essentially (which said Cutter gets permanent 1" stat increased per dude he kills) and you can't shoot the damn dude without passing a Willpower test and he starts off with a 3+ save because I don't know why...yeah CGC is bullshit.  Don't @ me.  Still love Necromunda though.

For reference with that combo his Cutter can reach the center in 1 activation

No comments:

Post a Comment