Thursday, September 28, 2017

Hobby progress update time!

Hello and welcome fellow wargamers!  It has been a hot minute since our last post and topic of discussion so I apologize if you’ve been waiting.  If not then that’s all right too.  I hope everyone has been doing well with their hobby path and I wish you many successes.  So let’s dig right in shall we?

A lot has happened since the last post, most of it has been pretty rough in regards to work but I’ve changed back to my old shift once again so that means more time to do hobby things on the regular!  Even though my other shift had a lot of open times with the rotating days off I find myself being able to do more if I try to get a couple hours done each night instead of binging 8 hours once a week.  So that has been exciting as of late.
The winner of the Gencon cosplay parade in my heart #tingle4life
One thing that has been pretty major is that Gencon 2017 has come and gone and this year just felt a bit lackluster.  It being the 50th anniversary I suppose I expected some more pizazz but instead the crowds were huge (in fact they sold out of badges before the con) and the general feel of the events were more mercantile than gamer.  Still had fun but it just didn’t have the same feel as prior years, something shared by the rest of the regular crew we have.  I personally had a hard time trying to rush so much crap in that I forgot to just enjoy my time, but once I slowed down I think things started to sink in a little bit.
Still don't know what this is.
This year I think I kept my cool in terms of buying into new games completely.  I did pick up some Skarrd for Dark Age and I also tried to snag as many of the con exclusive I could.  I saw that the Privateer Press booth was looking a little sad compared to other years, though I didn’t visit it until day 2 or 3.  I didn’t pick up any Grymkin (I mean I could just Malifaux instead) but I did grab the Rolling Bones Goreshade exclusive, so there’s that.  I think the only new game I really got into was Heavy Gear Blitz.  I’ve seen some videos on Guerilla Miniature Gaming’s YouTube channel and I’ve been wanting to try out a more action type of mecha game.  So they had a deal with the started set with two factions, the Northern and Southern forces, I figured why not? 


I did get to demo CMoN’s upcoming Game of Thrones game, A Song of Ice and Fire, and I have to say I am excited about it!  It even became my first Kickstarter project I’ve ever backed.  It had a lot of those elements that get me hooked into a game, and it reminded me of what would happen if a WHFB style game were updated with modern rule philosophy.  The models look great too and while I’m usually not a fan of pre-assembled models the quality of the demo pieces changed my mind.  So I backed up the project and I look forward to when they are rolling out.
House Lannister wrecking the Starks like a bawss
As far as personal projects go I’ve been taking this time to assembly everything I’ve had, including some older kits.  I’ve assembled all the Heavy Gear pieces (I think it was a PVC type plastic, so that was odd), Algoryn Hazard Suits and Liberator Tanks, some Guild Ball pieces, the Dark Age Skarrd, and some 40k kits I’ve had laying around.  In the near future I’ll be cleaning the metal and resin pieces to get started on the forever long painting queue.

Me looking for Skarrd models that don't exist yet like an idiot
So that’s what’s been happening on my end, hopefully things have been better on your end and hopefully I can get back to some regular articles coming in.  Until next time gamers take care and happy gaming! 

2 comments:

  1. No idea how it plays now, but when we tried several of the previous incarnations of Heavy Gear, it was so freaking over-complicated that it made Classic Battletech seem like a kiddie game! Hopefully its been improved...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In practice I'm not sure yet, but reading the rules was a bit of a challenge for sure. Kind of like Gates of Antares' rulebook it just needed a good editor.

      Delete